Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saying Goodbye to a Friend


We have all lost someone who meant something to us and it really makes us think why they were so important in our lives. My friend and mentor Greg Allen of Orillia, Ontario Canada passed away in his sleep while on holiday in the Dominican Republic. It sucks big time for the rest of us, especially his family, but way to go Greg..no suffering. Justin at DARE 2 PRODUCTIONS put this slide show together for him for the funeral so glad he shared it cause I am so far away.

Anyway I found a way to do something from Arizona. You can now post condolences online on an obit so i got it started and it is amazing to see how everyone says he was their "best" friend. He mentored as a community cable volunteer producer at Rogers and Trillium for years and he instilled a love of video production in thousands. Greg "got me" not too many people do. I was always blown away when he looked me in the eye and very strongly said how proud he was of me cause I didn't give up. It meant a lot when most thought I was crazy.

So I see now in people's responses at not only how much fun he was to be with but his biggest strength was also his biggest weakness, he didn't know how to charge for his advice and support he just did it automatically. We worked on each other's projects, so we would sit for like an hour working out how we would charge each other cause we were both broke from doing what we loved to do and forgetting to charge. And as always at the end of our lives its not the money that counts, its how we touched people that is what is remembered. His greatest gift to all who knew him was the sharing of his wisdom. There isn't a day goes by that I don't say thank God Greg taught me how to do this. So now the cord has been cut and I am on my own...but I will still make him proud as I will go on and I will take what he gave me and do something with it and at the same time I will share my wisdom with others so his fire is never snuffed out. No more video calls on skype..miss you so much.