Monday, February 1, 2010

How To Ascend the Spirit of a Roadkill

Another head turning experience and example of coming to full consciousness came to me on my walk back from my meditation when I was standing at a bridge looking at the river.  I heard a loud clanging sound about a foot above my head, immediately after that my head turned, again no thought, and I found my eyes immediately resting on a dead raccoon on the railway tracks. I knew in an instant that the clanging I heard was the sound of a bang against the rails.  At that same moment I also flashed back to a time where a loud bang like a door slamming shut had awakened me from sleep so that I sat straight up in bed looking at the door. My Cherokee Elder Grandmother Pa'Ris'Ha, said it was a good thing and that I had caught the door to the other side closing behind me as I came back to my body from dreamspeaker..so for an instant I was in both worlds. Part of her teachings of living in balance and harmony with the Earth Mother and all who live upon her is to remove a roadkill from a road because every time a car ran over it..it experienced it's death over and over.  We were to  move it to the earth and ascend it's spirit. I moved him to a tree and ascended it's spirit by touching my heart then pointing my first two fingers at it, then in a swirling motion I released it's spirit to the sky saying "let thy spirit soar" (Traditionally an offering of cornmeal would be placed over the body).  At that moment I heard the train whistle and realized that I had been directed there just in time to remove his body before he was run over again.  My unconscious response to this situation is what is so exciting..being in the right place at the right time, in present time and with awareness ...the icing on the cake is to have the understanding of why.